Sunday, February 4, 2007

EDM #60 A vehicle or part of it

Today, on my way to a jazz jam session (where I had planned to do some sketching, including my first attempt at sketching a person), my truck died. While waiting for my husband to come get me I sat inside it and sketched. This was with my mittens on, holding the pen the way I hold a paintbrush.

If you look close you'll see I even drew the top of the sketchbook - it's at the bottom of the steering wheel.

My husband's comment on this drawing was "It needs more style". When asked to explain he said it would be better if I made everything too long or too short or skewed so the mistakes in detail wouldn't be so noticeable. Interesting comment. I'd been thinking there were too many details and I might have been better off concentrating on darks and lights. But, darks and lights work out better with charcoal and this was done with an extra fine point gel pen. Besides, the interior of my truck is black so it would have been darks and not-quite-so-dark darks.

So, no jazz jamming for me this weekend. Fortunately there's another one in a different place next weekend.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT A GREAT USE OF YOUR TIME!! SUPEr SKETCH TOO!

Gabriel Campanario said...

as someone who draws frequently from inside a car I should say: Well done! The details are good and make the picture more interesting to look at, and drawing the top of the sketchbook is very clever.

Robyn said...

What a wonderful use of what could have been wasted down time! Well done.

caseytoussaint said...

Actually, your drawing has it's own style, but your husband was probably too close to what you were attempting to do to appreciate it. I really like it.

Anonymous said...

I love all the details--and with your mittens on?? Wonderful, and good for you! (Must have been a long wait...)

Sue said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. It's nice to get positive feedback. But does anyone ever see my replies to (and thanks for) the comments?

I only had to wait 1/2 hour but it was 12 degrees outside and a little breezy. Balmy compared to what it has been!

Gabriel Campanario said...

hi sue, to clarify my post and answer your question... i draw from inside the car when i'm sitting at traffic lights (sometimes, not always)... you can see a few of those drawings on my blog http://gabicampanario.blogspot.com/search/label/Car%20sketching

Linda said...

I think this looks great -- and am finding it hard to imagine drawing with your mittens on in 12 degrees ... brrrr!!!! Your husband had some interesting comments, and I'm trying to imagine what he had in mind -- maybe like looking through a fish eye lens? How interesting! I LIKE the way you did it -- maybe you should give him a challenge and get him to sketch it his way! Really, that would be FUN!
:-)

Anonymous said...

Forget what your husband says. I think it already has lots of style! Lots of character, too... and I for one enjoyed all the detail. In fact, it was fun to take a minute and check out what you decided to include (like the top of the sketchbook). Way to make the best out of a rotten situation.

Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue said...

Thanks again for all the positive feedback. I'm surprised what a difference it makes in keeping me motivated.

Also, I should perhaps have phrased differently what my hubby said. He wasn't being mean at all. In fact, he's always very supportive. His comment has taken me back to what my drawing teacher kept drilling into us: "If you want an exact replica, take a photo of it. As an artist your job is to interpret what you see." It's an easy thing to forget but perhaps one of the more important things to learn. Skewing a thing might just make for a more interesting drawing.

Anonymous said...

Good job, Sue ... don't let a minute get away, draw always!